Published: 8 July 2022 11:08 am Author: Oliver Stanley
Latest Companies House statistics (March 2022)
Companies House has released the latest figures showing the number of companies registered in the UK and activity at Companies. Some of the key points (all figures are as at the end of March 2022, or for the period 1 April 2021 – 31 March 2022):
- 4,894,356 companies registered at Companies House. This is an increase of 3.8% on the previous year. Another sign of the strength of the UK’s position as a place to do business and in particular new business
- 753,168 company incorporations in the year. While a decrease of 7.1% when compared to the previous year, this is still the second highest number of incorporations on record. A sign that, despite everything that has been happening in recent years, innovation and the need for new corporate entities remains strong.
- 581,824 dissolutions in the year. This is an increase of 32.9% on the previous year and the highest number of dissolutions on record. This has to be a result of the tough trading conditions that the pandemic and aftershocks have created.
- Approx 400,000 companies currently on the register are in the process of dissolution or liquidation.
- The average age of a company on the total register at the end of March 2022 was 8.6 years.
- Private limited companies account for 93% (4,713,538) of all companies registered. LBGs or companies with no share capital account for 2.6% (130,268) and LP and LLPs account for 2.1% (108,638).
- 7.8M directorships registered at Companies House. On average, 1.6 directors/ company (in line with previous 5 years).
- 10M shareholders registered at Companies. On average 2.15 shareholders/ company (in line with previous 5 years).
- “Professional, scientific and technical activities” is the most common category of business activity (based on SIC codes).
(all data and images sourced from Companies House. For more information see https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/companies-register-activities-statistical-release-2021-to-2022/companies-register-activities-2021-to-2022)